Fusion Plasma Physics Research
핵융합 플라즈마 물리연구실관련기사 바로가기
The presence of 3-D magnetic field (strictly speaking, non-axisymmetric magnetic field) brings both challenges and opportunities in fusion plasmas. Specifically, the plasma stability and transport, as well as turbulence, are greatly affected by the 3-D magnetic field. Among various 3-D physics themes, the resonant magnetic perturbation (RMP)-driven, edge-localized-modes (ELM) control has been one of the hottest topics scientifically and technologically.
Considering that ELMs in magnetically confined plasmas would outburst substantial heat and particle fluxes on the divertor and plasma facing components, the full ELM-crash- suppression would help us avoid such harmful damages, so that almost all the major fusion devices have been vigorously searching for a solution. In this regard, as of 2018, the Korea Superconducting Tokamak Advanced Research (KSTAR) located at Daejeon, Korea became the world no. 1 device, in that the longest sustainment of full ELM-crash- suppression over 40 sec has been demonstrated using n=1 RMP (where n refers to the toroidal mode number.
Nonetheless, the detailed physics mechanism to make full ELM-crash- suppression, instead of ELM-crash- mitigation, remains to be clarified, whereas several key physics parameters, such as edge safety factor (q95), collisionality (nu*), and shape effect, have been found. Since the RMP configurations to be installed in ITER (the largest tokamak being built in Southern France, whose size is expected to be comparable to that of future fusion reactor) would be similarly tested in KSTAR, the divertor heat flux profiles and their dependence on 3-D field configurations are being actively investigated.
Currently, such 3-D field physics study plays a role of hub in drawing the attentions of both theoretical and experimental gurus, whose accomplishments would likely be remembered as one of the significant contributions to fusion research forever.
Magnetohydrodynamics/Error Field Study/Turbulent Transport/Neutral Particle Diagnostic Development would belong to the main research interests, as well.
3-D magnetic field physics, Magneto-hydrodynamics, Turbulent Transport, Plasma Diagnostics
Neutral particle diagnostics, Advanced Fusion Reactor Design, High Temperature Superconducting magnet development
Research Keywords and Topics
Resonant Magnetic Perturbation (RMP)-driven, edge-localized-modes(ELM) control
Error field study
Macroscopic magnetohydrodyanmic instabilities
Resistive wall mode (RWM) identification and control
Electron-cyclotron-emission (ECE) and ECE imaging (ECEI) diagnostics
Divertor heat flux measurements
Edge Pedestal Physics
- Nucl. Fusion 62, 066014 (2022) “Toward holistic understanding of the ITER-like resonant magnetic perturbation (RMP) ELM control on KSTAR”
- Nucl. Fusion 59, 126045 (2019) “Test of the ITER-like RMP configurations for ELM-crash-suppression on KSTAR”
- Nucl. Fusion 59, 056009 (2019) “Tamed stability and transport using controlled non-axisymmetric fields in KSTAR”,
- Nature Physics 14, 1223 (2018) “3D field phase-space control in tokamak plasmas”
- Nucl. Fusion 57, 116054 (2017) “Enhanced understanding of non‐axisymmetric intrinsic and controlled field impacts in tokamaks”
- Nucl. Fusion 55, 043004 (2015) “Extremely low intrinsic error field in KSTAR and its implications”
- NB. 물리학
- NB04. 유체·플라즈마
- NB0401. 플라즈마 물리
- 기타 분야
- 060000. 국가기술지도(NTRM) 99개 핵심기술 분류에 속하지 않는 기타 연구
- 녹색기술관련 과제 아님
- 녹색기술관련 과제 아님
- 999. 녹색기술 관련과제 아님
- 기타 분야
- 기타 분야
- 070000. 위의 미래유망신기술(6T) 103개 세분류에 속하지 않는 기타 연구