Guideline on Management of Indirect Research Expenses
Guideline on Management of Indirect Research Expenses
Established on Apr. 25, 2011, in guideline no. 18.
Revised on Oct. 31, 2012, in guideline no. 51.
Article 1 (Purpose)
This guideline provides the detailed requirements for management of indirect research expenses spent by the Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST) and Academy Industry Research Corporation (hereinafter referred to as “the University”).
Article 2 (Scope)
All indirect research expenses shall be subject to this guideline unless otherwise specified by supporting institutes.
Article 3 (Collection Rate of Indirect Research Expenses)
The collection rate of indirect research expenses shall be based on the following:
- National institution projects and other projects: Maximum rate allowable by the calculation standard of indirect expenses as set by the supporting institutes in terms of the research contract concluded
- Industrial projects: 30% of total research expenses
Article 4 (Execution Standard of Indirect Research Expenses)
The execution standards of indirect research expenses shall be based on the following:
- Personnel support costs
- Labor costs of support personnel: These costs may be executed as labor costs for support personnel (including personnel specialized in operating equipment required for the R&D activities) and other personnel who assist the principal investigator in settlement and management of research expenses. (Revised on Oct. 31, 2012).
- R&D efficiency bonus: The benefit of this bonus is available for the principal investigator, researchers who achieved brilliant research results, and superior personnel who support research activities.
- Research support costs
- Joint institutional support expenses: Refers to joint support expenses required for institutional R&D activities, which can be executed at the operation cost of Academy Industry Research Corporation (AIRC).
- Operation cost of the school, project team, or research team: This cost can be executed for organizations operated in the form of a project team or research team and can be also executed as operating expenses and supplies purchase expenses that are financially supported for a research division supervised by a principal investigator.
- Laboratory safety management cost: In regard to performance of R&D projects, this cost can be executed to perform preventive activities (including safety education for the safety of the laboratory) and create safe laboratory environment (including insurance premiums).
- Research security management cost: This cost can be executed as an expenses required for the security of R&D projects, including the purchase of security equipment, security education, and more.
- Research ethics activity cost: With regard to performance of R&D projects, this cost can be executed as expenses regarding the enactment and operation of research ethics regulations, the establishment of research ethics (including research ethics education and moral awareness proliferation activities), and the prevention of research misconduct.
- Subsidy for UNIST research activities: This subsidy can be executed as an expense to support the research activities of UNIST, including the operating expenses of research-related infrastructure and equipment, purchase academic books and electronic information (Web-DB, e-journals, etc.), support expenses for operating the laboratory, support expenses for workshops or seminars, and paying paper publication fees.
- Research results employment support costs
- Scientific and cultural activity cost: This cost can be executed as an expenses related to the proliferation of scientific technology and culture, which includes production of scientific PR and event programs (for promotion of R&D projects), lectures, experience activities, open laboratory operation, and cultivation of PR experts.
- Application and registration cost of intellectual property rights: This cost can be executed as an expense required for the application, registration, or maintenance of intellectual property rights; expenses required for technology transfer (including technical value assessment); and other expenses associated with enacting and operating internal regulations for the preparation and management of research notes, performing activities for research note education and awareness proliferation, and activating research notes.
Article 5 (Standards of Financial Support for Indirect Research Expenses)
① In principle, the overhead costs of the AIRC, research divisions, and principal investigator shall be supported on the next year according to the annual aggregation of indirect research expenses. However, the research division’s overhead costs for the project teams shall be organized and supported as a separate account in connection with the research period of the relevant projects.
② Details about the support for indirect research expenses shall be separately determined by the President.
Article 6 (Rules of Application)
With regard to the management of indirect research expenses, other matters not specified in this guideline shall be mutatis mutandis covered by the regulations and guidelines of UNIST (including the Regulation on Research Work and Detailed Enforcement Rules).
Supplementary Provision (April 25, 2011)
- (Effective Date)
This supplementary provision shall take effect on the date of its announcement.
- (Interim Measures)
The management of indirect research expenses executed before the enforcement of this guideline shall be considered as based hereon.
Supplementary Provision (October 31, 2012)
This guideline shall take effect from the date of its announcement.